Thing to remember here is - Electronic equipment in USA is less expensive, compared to prices in India. Plan to carry what you need. You can satisfy your wants once you come here.
Mobile Phone :
- Get your cell phone. It saves you a ton of money and pain.
- All tri-band & quad-band phones work here.
- So you just need to get a SIM.
- Getting a phone would mostly mean entering into a contract. Non-contract phones don’t come cheap.
- You can upgrade to a smartphone at a later point of time when you’re ready to shell the money. Until then you’ll have your phone.
- Laptop prices in USA is very low! If you don't have a laptop or someone in the family needs one - don't worry - buy one in USA.
- How to buy a laptop before coming to USA :
- There will be many trustworthy & helpful seniors. Contact them and ask them if you can buy remotely and ship it to their address.
- Place an order for the laptop (from India) about 2-weeks before you go, and it would have arrived before you reach USA.
- Important Note (for people buying a laptop), the laptops come in 3 forms -
- First-hand : This is a fresh piece. (~recommended)
- Refurbished :
- This is a repaired piece
- This will have a fresh warranty from the time you purchase this piece.
- Its as good as a new piece, but its not worth buying this.
- Used : This is a used laptop. Its not a good option to go for this.
- Good websites to buy a laptop from :
Hard Disks & Pen Drives :
- Get your Pen Drives.
- Get your Hard Disks - with backed up data.
- Also if you plan to buy a MAC, get a compatible Hard Disk.
Music Player :
- Get your iPods or MP3 Players for the travel.
- If you dont have one, dont bother ~ you get a decent in-flight entertainment.
- You can also buy these music players in the USA, when there are good deals.
- Needless to say, get your camera and your tripod if you’re a photography enthusiast.
- You can always buy it in the USA, its priced lower than what you pay in India.
- Get your watch battery checked. Replacing it here can be a problem during the start.
- Get an universal adapter for your electronic goods.
- Headphones & Earphones are expensive in USA, try to get a good set from India.